Here's Looking At You, Kid

When Cheddar Buns went for her annual physical recently, the Doctor noticed something when she took her eye test. He noticed that she either:
a) Forgot to open her eyes for the test
b) Never ate a carrot in her life, or
c) didn't study

I'm sorry, just kidding.  She did, however, fail her eye test. As a consolation prize she got to take a trip..... to "see" the eye doctor.

As a father I sometimes worry about my children and their popularity. I'm not sure why I worry about it, I wasn't popular and look how great I turned out. Cheddar Buns' idea of popular is different from a lot of people. She truly likes, and tries to help, everyone. It never mattered to her what clique other kids were in or who they liked, she is friends with someone from all of the cliques.


When My Beautiful Wife told me that my Princess got glasses and texted the picture to me popularity never crossed my mind.  My mother in law said to me, “I hope the kids at school don’t tease her.”  I then began to worry a little because school kids CAN be less than polite to someone even for the smallest change.  I soon disregarded those fears though, because when she got home I could see how happy she was just to be able to see clearly.

When I picked her up from school that first day after getting her glasses I asked her what the other kids thought of her glasses.  “What did your friends say?” I asked.  “They said, ‘you got glasses?’” she replied. 

The next day I queried her again, “What did everyone say about your glasses today?” obviously more concerned with the responses than she was.  “They said ‘I like your glasses’ and one of my friends said ‘They make you look smarter’”. 

My little girl looks gorgeous in her new glasses.  My little girl definitely looks smarter in her new glasses.  But it seems to me she sees quite clearly with or without glasses  when choosing her path in life.  If you make friends with everybody, then everybody will be your friend.

I think I need glasses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fodada's Colors for A Cause

Happy National Empanada Day!

Easy Turkey Empanadas