National Pie Day 2012

January 23 was always just another day to me.  This year, however, I learned that January 23 was soooo much more than just another day; it’s National Pie Day.  As explained on the American Pie Council’s website, this particular date was chosen because “celebrating the goodness of pie is as easy as 1-2-3”.  Besides, I think the other PI day is 3/14.  Get it, 3.14?  I didn’t until Sour Dough told me about it.
Anyway, back to the 1-2-3, easy as pie, pie day.  When I first read about it that morning I thought to myself, “Hmmm that is an interesting “holiday”, if you will.  I can do something with this.”.  My first thought, since it was already rounding noon when I discovered it, was to go to the store or the Bakery and buy some pies.  But that folks, is not my style.  Who buys a pie when you can make one as good as or better than, one from the Bakery.  And you can make one faster than heating up one of those frozen thingy’s you get at the grocery store.

The other reason I prefer to bake my own pies is I am a diabetic.  If I bake it myself, I can bake it diabetic good.  Diabetic good food is what I call food that I make using more diabetic friendly ingredients than the original recipe calls for.  So, that’s what I did.  I decided on a diabetic good Pumpkin Pie, and a diabetic good cherry pie.  I had all of the ingredients I needed in the house except cherries and pumpkin, so a quick run to the grocery and I was cooking, or baking.

A little shortcut I take is the crust.  Instead of making my own pie crust I get the pre-made crust that’s rolled up and packaged in twos.  I could make my own sure, but I save a good half hour and the crusts come out pretty good, especially if you’re in a time crunch.  If you make them yourself you will like them better and you can adjust the recipes to your dietary needs.



                                                                                         I threw these pics in just to give you a little teaser and show you how easy this is. I took me all of about 30 minutes to get these bad boys in the oven and we were enjoying them for dessert.

 I wouldn’t be doing the American Pie Council justice if I didn’t tell you, pies are not just for National Pie Day.   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fodada's Colors for A Cause

Happy National Empanada Day!

Easy Turkey Empanadas