Can You Spare Some “Change”?


Valentine’s Day.  I have always looked forward to Valentine’s Day for a number of reasons.  It is a day to profess my Love to My Beautiful Wife, a day to shower my children with goodies, and oh yeah, I get to cook special foods.

This year we had a few obstacles to overcome in our celebration plans.  First, Sour Dough was leaving for the weekend on a debate team meet (or match, I’m never really sure what it’s called), so we had to change our celebration day to allow him to participate.  Second, My Beautiful Wife’s birthday is this weekend (she’s a stunning 29), so we have to adjust THAT to accommodate Sour Dough’s lack of presence (or presents).  And last but not least, the day I move Valentine’s Day dinner to just happens to be Friday.  All of you Catholics out there know that we are in the first week of Lent, which means no meat on Friday.

This year for breakfast on Modified Valentine’s Day, I made My Beautiful Wife Banana Stuffed French Toast with Berries and fresh whipped cream.  It was a hit and she loved it.  My Mom-in Law, Brötchen, is visiting so I made her the special breakfast as well.   Brötchen always raves about my cooking and this was no different, she gave me another awesomeness review which I took in with pride. The kids were in school so they just got regular old French toast, which they also enjoyed. 

  For dinner I had planned the usual Valentine’s Day fare of Surf and Turf; Lobster and Filet Mignon.  With Lent and no meat Friday in the picture I also had to modify the dinner on Modified Valentine’s Day.  No problem, right?  Well not exactly.  The kids LOVE steak; Lobster, not so much.  Therefore, I made Surf for the grown-ups, with fresh steamed asparagus, roasted baby potatoes and salad.  The kiddies got to enjoy a basic salad and pasta dinner, which they were perfectly happy with.

During dinner I was telling the children about the Banana Stuffed French Toast I had made for My Beautiful Wife and Brötchen.  I explained the process I used to make it which I’m certain interested me and probably no one else at the table.  When I finished, Mini Buns says to me, “Dad, you know what would be good?”  I said, “What would be good?”  He says, ”French Toast Stuffed Bananas!”

Laughing the entire time, he explained the process I should follow to make the French Toast Stuffed Bananas, this time with everyone clearly interested in the process.  I laughed along imagining the site of his perfect food.
 

I’m willing to make changes as you can see, but I don’t think that is a modification I would have come up with. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fodada's Colors for A Cause

Happy National Empanada Day!

Easy Turkey Empanadas